Saturday, May 30, 2009

Medications & Treatments

I have been prescribed and tried countless medications and treatments over the years. They are too numerous for me to remember, so I am just listing what I am currently taking or doing.

I want to emphasize that these are medications and treatments that work for me. Every person is unique and may or may not find success using the same therapies.

Current Medications & Treatments
The following items have been prescribed or recommended (in the case of OTC items) by my doctors:

Allergies

  • Zyrtec (antihistamine)
  • Flonase (corticosteroid nose spray for allergic rhinitis)
  • Immunotherapy (allergy shots)
  • Sinus Rinse (nasal wash)

Anemia, Iron Deficiency (Update July 2009: my iron levels are no longer an issue; I no longer take Tandem every day...)

  • Tandem (prescription iron)

Asthma

  • Advair 250/50 (inhaled steroid)
  • Albuterol (bronchodilator, emergency inhaler)

CFIDS/CFS (Update July 2009: I've started a new treatment plan in addition to what is already listed here...see below for the link)

  • Intravenous Glutathione
  • Glyceron Plus injections
  • Oral ATP supplements

Depression

  • Zoloft 12.5-25 mg

Eczema

  • Topical steroids

General Health

  • Multivitamin
  • Fish oil

Insomnia

  • Melatonin 5 mg
  • Benadryl (only if I'm really desperate)

Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Lactose Intolerance

  • Lactase supplements
  • Fiber supplements
  • Probiotics

Migraines/Headaches

  • OTC Tylenol & Advil at the same time (i.e., one of each)

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

  • Yaz (birth control)

Vitamin D Deficiency

  • 1000 IU Vitamin D

Other Lifestyle Changes

I honestly don't know how effective some of these things are in improving my health. I figure even if they aren't helping me, they are certainly not hurting me.

  • Chlorine filter for shower
  • Non-toxic, "green" detergents and cleaning products (for example, we make our own glass and window cleaner with water, vinegar, and dish soap)
  • Anti-mite laundry additive
  • Mattresses and pillows covered in anti-mite protective covering
  • HEPA vacuum cleaner
  • HEPA filters for heating/cooling system
  • Organic foods when possible
  • Preservative-free and other natural foods when possible
  • "Green" maid service twice a month (This item is a greater financial sacrifice than all the other changes; however, I believe it is worth it for the sake of my health and marriage. Physically, it is difficult to do much house cleaning. In terms of my marriage, it is not fair for my husband to have to do all the cleaning all the time.)

Notable Medications & Treatments I've Tried but No Longer Use

  • Elidel (for eczema) - did not help much
  • Acupuncture (for eczema) - did not like all the poking
  • Singulair (for asthma & allergies) - did not notice any difference with or without it
  • Ambien CR (for insomnia) - did not like side effects
  • Combination Glutathione/ATP injections - too painful
  • Multiple migraine medications - I no longer have many migraines (I don't know why), so when I do have them I take OTC medications

Note Added July 2009: I have started a new treatment protocol. See Starting a New Treatment Plan. I have added the treatment on top of what I was already taking.

1 comment:

klbrowser said...

The housecleaning service is an excellent idea! Both in terms of saving your energy and in keeping things more sanitary for your health. If I could afford a service, I would soooo hire one.