Sunday, April 22, 2012

Supplements Working or Placebo Effect?

I seem to have more energy lately. 

I've been able to do more chores around the house like dishes and laundry.  To a normal healthy person, dishes and laundry might not seem like a big deal; however, they are high energy activities that have a history of tiring me out. 

Climbing stairs has also become marginally easier.  I still feel winded at the top of the stairs, but not to the same degree...I think.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about this newfound energy.  In the past, big improvements in energy have often preceded illness or a major crash.  I'm making an effort not to overdo things to avoid pushing myself into a crash. 

It has been a couple weeks since starting on my 100 mg CoQ10 and 100 mg B2/Riboflavin three times a day.  I have a history of deficiencies in vitamins B2 and D, iron, and CoQ10 (as well as glutathione), so it makes sense that I might feel a bit better with such high doses of B2 and CoQ10 supplements.

I would like to think the supplements are actually helping me feel better, though I am open to the possibility of a placebo effect.  Whatever the case I'm feeling an improvement, so I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth (what does that really mean, anyway?) and enjoy things while they last.  

In case you're interested, here's my latest daily supplement/Rx list:
  • Multivitamin, 1x day (I rotate between three brands: Centrum (1 tablet), Holistic Health Neurological Health Forumla (2 tablets), and Brainstrong Prenatal Vitamin (1 tablet + 1 DHA softgel).  No, I'm not pregnant; I take the prenatal vitamin because it has a higher dose of biotin than most vitamins.  I rotate vitamins because each is different in content and amounts.)
  • 500 mg Calcium + 800 mg Vitamin D, 2x day (I take Caltrate Gummy Bites -- yum!)
  • 100 mg Coenzyme Q10, 3x day
  • B-Complex vitamin, 1x day (includes 100 mg B1/Thiamin, 100 mg B2/Riboflavin, 100 mg Niacin, 100 mg Vitamin B6, 400 mcg Folate, 100 mcg B12, 100 mcg Biotin, 100 mg Pantothenic Acid)
  • 100 mg Vitamin B2/Riboflavin, 2x day (I only take this pill 2x day because the B-complex vitamin includes 100 mg B2.)
  • 65 mg Iron, 1x day
  • 25 mg Zoloft
  • Yaz birth control pill
  • 1,500 mg Metformin
If you are a long-time reader of my blog, you'll notice that this list is quite a bit shorter than previous lists.  The truth is that I got tired of taking so many darn pills all the time, so I decided to cut back for my own sanity.

I realize that I could possibly feel even better if I took additional supplements (NAC, ATP, potassium, fish oil, etc.) or went back on the various protocols I've tried in the past, but I just got so resentful and angry at my exploding pill box.  I had to stop the madness.

My new rule is that everything has to fit in my pill box.  If it doesn't fit, I'm not taking it!

No comments: