Friday, November 20, 2009

Healthy Volunteers STILL Needed for Georgetown CFS Study

Note: This post is a copy and paste (and slightly edited) version of something I've posted and emailed before. I am posting again because it is so important.

Do you or does someone you know live near Washington, DC (or are you willing to travel there for a $400 stipend)?

Georgetown University Hospital is conducting a research study called "Proteomics of Cerebrospinal Fluid in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome."

My husband and I both volunteered for the study. We checked in to the hospital on a Wednesday and checked out on Friday. Kenny completed the study as a healthy control with no problems and is back at work. It is taking me a little extra time to recover, but I'm still glad I did it! Volunteering for CFS research gave me a sense of empowerment.

They still need many more HEALTHY individuals between the ages of 21 to 65 who are willing to undergo a lumbar puncture (a.k.a. spinal tap) and other minor procedures including blood tests, breathing tests, strength tests, and filling out surveys. There is a $400 stipend that is awarded to volunteers who complete the study.

Call 202-687-8231 or email cfsresearch@georgetown.edu if you are interested. The entire hospital staff involved is amazingly kind and compassionate.

Please forward this post to friends and loved ones, post the info on your blog, a message boards, or website, or just stand outside and shout about it.

I have been ill with CFIDS for my entire adult life and am sick of being sick. This disease is not just about being tired. This is the kind of serious research we need more of! Please help.

Thank you for reading!

Today's Activities: trip to hospital (again). Today's Most Annoying Symptoms: exhaustion, low-grade fever of 99.7, generally fevery feeling, headache.

Mood (10 is best): 5
Energy (10 is best): 2
Physical Discomfort (10 is worst): 5

P.S. A lot has happened this week. I will be blogging about it soon.
P.P.S. To my fellow bloggers: Please forgive me for not keeping up with your blogs lately. I have had to focus on myself a lot these days to work on getting better. I promise I will catch up with you when I am doing better.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Hope you are feeling a bit better!

alyson said...

Hi Laurel, thanks for checking in! Though I miss my parents (who took good care of me while I was in DC), I am happy to be sleeping in my own bed with my husband and cat to keep me company.