Sunday, November 29, 2009

Two Steps Back, Baby Steps Forward

I'm feeling quite ill today, but I felt the need to write a post because I feel it's important to document my experiences during this challenging time. I am mentally fatigued, so I will be writing this post in spurts and as thoughts come to mind. I also do not plan on proofreading this post, so please ignore any odd text.

I went to see my regular doctor on Wednesday, and she pretty much echoed everything the Georgetown doctor said and recommended. She also added her own suggestions. I'll write about all the two doctors' recommendations in a future post.

When I said that the other doc recommended that I stay out of work until January, she said "at least until January." Yikes! I hope that's not the case. I already miss my work friends, who are (if the truth be told) my only friends since I don't have a social life. I also enjoy my job. I can watch only so much TV before it gets old.

Like many Americans, my husband Kenny and I celebrated Thanksgiving with his family Wednesday night and much of Thursday (they live about 30 to 45 minutes away by car). I made sure to rest before and during the experience as much as possible, but I still managed to overdo it simply by participating.

After having an almost perfect temperature of 98.8 at the doctor's office on the Wednesday morning before Thanksgiving, my temperature went back up to 99.8 by Friday and is currently running at 100.0 as I write this post. I have not left the house since we got back home on Thursday.

Despite the setback, I do not regret spending time with family. Now that I spend my days at home rather than seeing colleagues and friends at work, contact with other humans (I love my cat, but...) has become more valuable. I also enjoy spending holidays with family.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a neurologist. We're going to talk about my headaches, which have been increasing in frequency and intensity since the worst headache of my life on November 1. The Georgetown doc recommended that I see a neurologist, and my regular doctor referred me to the one I'm seeing tomorrow.

My only concern is that the drive will be a long one, and I have to drive myself. I'm going to leave extra early so that I can pull over to rest along the way if I need to.

Though I'm still feeling physically awful, I am feeling better mentally. I have come to accept my new situation (I was in denial for a bit); however, I have also made the decision to aggressively work on getting back to my "normal" or even better. I'll write about some of my plans in a later post.

I've also slept better the past two nights. I have been battling some terrible insomnia lately (trouble falling and staying asleep), so it's been a relief to sleep through the night for a change. I give credit to the trazodone prescription the Georgetown doc suggested and my doctor prescribed. The doctor recommended it because it is less addictive than most other sleep medications.

It took a couple of days of taking the medication before it seemed to help, but it seems to be working in part. I still have trouble falling asleep, but they staying asleep problem bothered me more.

Baby steps...

Today's Activities: home. Today's Most Annoying Symptoms: exhaustion, low-grade fever of 100.0, generally fevery feeling, headache, nausea, sore lymph nodes under arms.

Mood (10 is best): 6
Energy (10 is best): 1
Physical Discomfort (10 is worst): 5


Lori said...

We have been busy with travel for the past couple of weeks, but I've been keeping up with your posts.

Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. Sounds like you're doing all of the right things for now.

Take care,

Sue Jackson said...

So sorry you're still feeling so bad, Alyson. I hope your visit to the neurologist yields some results.

I was also exhausted by my Thanksgiving visits with my family but am glad we went.

My son and I both take trazodone for sleep. It's not at all addictive because it's not a sedative - it actually corrects the hormonal problems that CFS causes that disrupt sleep. If your sleep still doesn't feel normal, check with your doctor about either increasing the dose or adding another med (Jamie and I both also take nortriptyline, a similar medication). We've both gotten to the point with the two meds where our sleep is normal most nights.

Good luck with your recovery - rest, rest rest and treat yourself well! Lots of good books and movies help...



I also use Hyland's nerve tonic and their product called, CALM (which is for sleep).

Neither are addictive, and you get the needed calcium; magnesium, potassium you need as well.

I just placed my new order on line at their web-site; it's $15.49 for 500 tablets. Diane

Renee said...

Glad you are getting some sleep again. I sleep quite well, and am very thankful for that. WHen I don't I really notice it. Wow, with both drs agreeing about you needing a very long recovery time, it makes it clear doesn't it. Sure hope your trip goes well and your resting too. It is hard to live in isolation..I know I miss one on one time with people...

alyson said...

Hi all, thanks for all the comments. It helps to know I've got a small cheering section out there that understands what I'm going through. I'm still not getting good sleep, but I'm not giving up hope!