Friday, July 31, 2009

Controversy & Needing a Laugh

After reading about a recent controversy in the CFS community, I was saddened by all the anger on both sides.

In a nutshell, a dramatic ME/CFS recovery story was posted online, and a few ME/CFS patients reacted negatively and vehemently. They felt the recovery story was too good to be true (which it may be) and that "miracle stories" as a result of alternative treatment shouldn't be touted so publicly (it should be noted that the actual treatment was not explained in the story).

I don't know what to believe, as I don't personally know the patient. However, I have not taken any sides. If the story is true, then I'm thrilled that someone has come back to life from such awful health. It gives me hope for a complete recovery. If it is not true, then I'm disappointed that someone would give such false hope to a community that is so desperate for hope.

After all the heavy philosophical thinking I did as a result of the controversy, I decided I needed a laugh. Here are a few of the websites I visited to lift my spirits:

FAIL Blog: photos and videos of things that miss the point or are just plain wrong (Warning: some of the photos and videos can be considered offensive; you have the option to see G-rated images only)

I Can Cheezburger: funny and cute cat (and other small furry animal) pictures

I Has a Hotdog: funny and cute dog pictures

Engrish: funny English mistakes (I used to live in Japan, and there really are all sorts of mistakes like these everywhere)

Today's Activities: work. Today's Most Annoying Symptoms: one asthma attack, chest pain, diarrhea, exhaustion, mild headache, active eczema on right ankle.

Mood (10 is best): 6
Energy (10 is best): 3
Physical Discomfort (10 is worst): 4

1 comment:

Sue Jackson said...

That kind of anger and controversy within the CFS community always upsets me, too. We have so little power, we need to stick together!

I do understand the views of both side, though. I also wonder whether someone REALLY had CFS (or was just misdiagnosed) when I hear a miracle recovery story, but I do hope such stories of recovery are true.

Sue