Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mono and CFS in Teens

I just got back some belated blood test results and was told that I had high EBV levels at the time of the test (a few weeks ago) -- see Human Pincushion for background on all my recent blood tests.

My doctor used the term "chronic mono" to describe my results. This is the first time she's used that term when describing my EBV levels.

I think my having chronic mono explains a few things, like the fever I was running at the time of this test. I'm also convinced that the chronic mono and my case of CFS are connected. I'm not willing to say that one caused the other, but I am certain that there is some sort of relationship.

I came across an interesting article when I was trying to do a little online research about "chronic mono":

"Mono" linked to chronic fatigue syndrome in teens (Shared via AddThis)

On the upside, my glutathione levels were a bit higher than my last test and there didn't seem to be anything odd about my HHV6 levels. On the downside, my ATP (cyclic-AMP) levels were down by a lot. No wonder I've been soooo tired lately (that is, more than usual).

Today's Activities: work and running errands. Today's Most Annoying Symptoms: exhaustion, mild headache, cracked left side of lip, active eczema on right ankle.

Mood (10 is best): 6
Energy (10 is best): 3
Physical Discomfort (10 is worst): 3

5 comments:

upnorth said...

Do you have CFS doc? Or just a traditional GP?....I notice some of those tests aren't necessarily traditional like glutathione and ATP???
When I first got sick they told me it was Mono. Since then my EVB titer fluctuate up and down but don't seem to correspond to how sick I am. It will be interesting to see if they ever figure out the whole CFS/mono connection. I have a hard time beleiving whatever virus started this illness (they told me MOno) is really gone. E.g. Like you mention, the fevers etc.

alyson said...

I've got a GP who treats a lot of people with CFS. I found her through the Co-Cure Good Doctor list: http://www.co-cure.org/Good-Doc.htm. I credit her with saving my sanity and giving me back some of my life (that is, I'm no longer bedridden and am now able to work).

Sue Jackson said...

Sounds like you have a great and very thorough doctor!

Yes, EBV and mono have long been connected with CFS. "Chronic mono" is a sort of old-fashioned term for CFS. Researchers now know that mono/EBV is one of several infections that can trigger CFS to start. What's interesting is that the percentage is the same, regardless of the triggering infection - about 10-11% of adults who get mono (or the other triggering infections) go on to develop CFS. It's thought that the infection starts an immune system over-reaction in people who are genetically predisposed.

I saw the teens study, too - it's very interesting because it shows a higher CFS/post-mono recovery rate for teens than what is usually seen with adults.

You know, if you tested positive for EBV, you might benefit from treatment with anti-virals. It has helped me.

Dr. Bell wrote a great article explaining the role of infections in CFS. I don't know how to include links in comments, but feel free to e-mail me if you want the link!

Sue

upnorth said...

Hi Sue, I'd love the link to that Dr. Bell article....maybe you could just spell it out and I could goole it?

alyson said...

Here's the link to the Bell article: http://www.davidsbell.com/LynNewsV3N1.htm. Thanks to Sue for emailing it to me!